How to Recognize Mold:
- Sight – They usually appear as distinctly colored woolly mats (e.g., mildew is black and is one of the most common molds in a household).
- Smell – They often produce a foul odor, such as a musty, earthy smell.
The key to mold prevention is moisture control. Mold will not grow if moisture is absent.
- Remove excess standing moisture with a wet-dry vacuum and remove the any excess humidity with a dehumidifier
- Use fans to assist in the drying process.
- Clean wet materials and surfaces with detergent and water.
- Discard all water damaged materials and all materials visibly contaminated with mold.
- Remove and discard all porous materials that have been wet for more than 48 hours such as:
- Carpeting and carpet padding
- Upholstery, wallpaper, drywall
- Floor and ceiling tiles, insulation materials