SERVPRO of Newton Wellesley Community Shares Christmas Safety
Christmas is a wonderful time of year. It is important to know some safety tips during the year, so you can protect yourself and your family. It’s fun to decorate, but holiday decorations may increase your risk for a home fire, if not careful. Nearly half of holiday decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source. Here are some safety tips:
- Inspect holiday lights before putting them up. Throw away light strands that are frayed or have pinched wires.
- Water your Christmas tree every day because a dry tree can catch on fire easily.
- Consider using battery-operated flameless candles. These can look and feel like real candles. Make sure they are in stable holders and place them where they cannot be knocked down easily.
- Half of the home decoration fires in December are started by candles. If you are not near the candle, blow it out so you prevent a fire. Make sure to keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that burns.
- More than 1 in every 5 Christmas tree fires were caused by a heat source too close to the tree. Make sure your tree is at least 3 feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, space heaters, candles, or heat vents.
- Get rid of your tree after Christmas or when it is dry.
Happy Holidays from all of us at SERVPRO of Newton Wellesley. We hope you have a wonderful and safe holiday season!
SERVPRO of Newton Wellesley is available 24/7 including holidays and weekends to assist you and get your home back to “Like it never even happened.”