Chemicals Released During Fires
Some of the biggest issues associated with fire damage do not come directly from the flames. The heat and water vapor from combustion can cause severe damage. There is also the smoke and soot from the fire that can cause lasting problems to your home. They contain toxic chemicals and also have a smell that lasts.
Plastics and other synthetic materials can leave behind harmful chemicals that are dangerous to inhale. Wood smoke is usually the largest contributor to smoke in the building. It contains methane, carbon monoxide, benzene, sulfur dioxide, formaldehyde, formic acid, acetic acid, and traces of heavy metals. This combination of chemicals is quite hazardous and can cause major problems for anyone who inhales or comes in contact with the smoke or residue left behind. The smoke and soot can cover almost every surface in the house even in places that were not directly adjacent to the fire, traveling either through air vents or wall cavities.
Removing smoke and sot requires the proper machinery and expertise. Here at SERVPRO of Norwood/West Roxbury we have all of the machinery and expertise you would need. Our certified professionals have been working with people in need of help for years.
It may seem like life will never be the same following a disastrous fire. With the help of our technicians we can get you back on track. Let us make it "Like it never even happened."